Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Revelation 1:9-20

Your Grace is Enough / Chris Tomlin by crashchords


Dear Sovereign God,

You are faithful and You are eternal--therefore You are eternally faithful.  So today, I introduced my cat to the outdoors--it was kind of scared but was intrigued by the birds.  But after a while, my cat missed home and meowed to let me know it was time to go.  How often does God push me out of my comfort zone for my own good, to make us more Christ-like?  How often do I forget that my real home and citizenship is in heaven yet do I live on earth too comfortably?

Observations:
  • Rev 1:9 - John was imprisoned on the island called Patmos when You O God, revealed to him Your Word.  You seem to always reveal Your best, during our times of suffering.  
  • 1:10 - If John, like all Christians, had the Holy Spirit dwell in him, then what does "in the Spirit" really mean?  Whatever it means, thank You God the Holy Spirit, for assisting and preparing for whatever God has for us even during our "island" experiences.
  • 1:11 - John is commanded to write what he sees in a book to send to 7 churches which will be for their encouragement and opportunity to repent.   In a sense, we Christians are like books in that we are letters from Christ to be read by all.  Am I then acting like iron to others?
  • 1:12 - golden lampstands reminds me of Jesus' saying that we are like lights to the world.  Back in Exodus, God told Moses to make a lampstand.   
  • 1:13 - Jesus is revealed!  I don't know how John was feeling but I'd feel scared right about now.  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of all wisdom.  Also, Isaiah 11:2 speaks into John's situation perfectly--one result of John being "in the Spirit" is the fear of the LORD!
  • 1:14 - Jesus' eyes are like flames of fire!  Wow God, when You call us Christians to be like Your Son, knowing that Jesus said our eyes are like a lamp, then how bright/dark are my eyes LORD?  When people see me, do they see Christ in me?  
  • 1:15 - after they pierced Your feet LORD, Your feet is now an impenetrable burnished bronze!  But then again, "they" in a sense is... "I" since You bore my sins on the cross--praise God!
  • 1:16 - two-edged sword from Jesus' mouth reminds me of how the Word is the sword!  God's Word created the heavens and the earth, as well as punish those who don't believe who Jesus claimed to be.  And Your face Jesus is like the sun shining in full strength!  No wonder Moses had to put on a veil yet we Christians get to see You face to face in heaven because You tore the curtain in two.
  • 1:17 - Yup, John was afraid yet You Jesus as You always do, comfort us in our fears.  Jesus, You claim to be the first and the last which goes back to verse 4 and 8--You are God eternal.  To think that You existed before creation, even before time began is astounding to me--how powerful and awesome are You?
  • 1:18 - Your resurrection Jesus is fact and I'm sure all the Jerusalem newspaper headlines, blogs and twitter accounts talked about You when You rose again!  May we as Your living "written letters/books" continue to talk about/blog about/tweet the greatest moment in history.
  • 1:19 - again John is told to write things he has seen.  What have I seen that I can write about Lord?  Well I guess that's why I'm writing this blog--to testify to Your greatness.
  • 1:20 - For You Jesus to hold the seven stars is to signify You are above the angels--for You are Creator God, and angels are Your creations.


"and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band." --Rev 1:13

Repentant, prodigal son walked back home in fear
The One with eyes like a flaming fire drew near.
But the Alpha and the Omega forgave him of all sin.
"Quick!  Bring the best robe and put it on him"
        So Jesus gave His own robe with the blood-stained price tag still attached.

"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet." --Lk 15:22

in Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments: