Sunday, August 01, 2010

Revelation 1:1-8

We Fall Down / Chris Tomlin by crashchords

Dear Almighty God,

You are the only Sovereign, Creator God who speaks and reveals Your will to us. Thank You for Your Word and I pray that Your people may see and hear Jesus and magnify Him above all else.
Hi Heavenly Dad, today I decided to go through the Bible starting from Revelation and working my way backwards. Seeing how it's all going to end makes me fix more on the greatness of Your Son, Jesus. Thus, as I read other books of the bible, Jesus as portrayed in Revelation, will always be at the forefront.

Observations:
  • Rev 1:1 - how soon is soon God? And it's interesting how You (God the Father) reveal information about Yourself--it's through Jesus (God the Son)!
  • 1:2 - the words "witness" bring images of courtrooms and testimonies, as if a trial were happening. Are "word of God" and "testimony of Jesus Christ" synonymous?
  • 1:3 - It seems that a threefold blessing is bestowed upon those who speak, hear and do what has been written. May all of us speak to others about Christ, hear about Christ from others, and may all of us obey Your will.
  • 1:4 - Jesus You are so awesome! You are described as "who is and who was and who is to come"--You existed in eternity past, in the present, and eternity future because You created time and exist outside of it!  Yet, you intersect with our time because of Your love, making You the ultimate missionary as You dwelt among us.  And Your throne only makes sense for You are King of kings, and Lord of lords! 
  • 1:5 - Interesting how You are also described as a "faithful witness". Faithful I understand, but why witness? Are You witnessing to testify who You are? Or perhaps witnessing to God the Father as You intercede on our behalf because of our constant sinfulness? And "the firstborn of the dead"--but of course, You rose from the dead! How amazing is that?! "The ruler of kings on earth"--reminds me of Prov 21:1 Oh wow, I think You just answered my question, since "You freed us from our sins by [Your] blood" I guess You witness because of the latter option I mentioned. And not only that, but it's out of love.
  • 1:6 - what a gift! I mean it's not often that one opens a present and inside is a key to a kingdom! Reminds me of how the Israelites in the O.T. were walking toward the land Your promised them. Also reminds me of 1 Pet 2:9
  • 1:7 - Now here's a chronological mystery for me. How is it that those who pierced Jesus will see Him? Was the author referring to a time that already passed? Or perhaps another possibility is that when the dead are raised again, then that will allow all to see Jesus when He arrives again. And in order for every eye to see You, it will be quiet a spectacular sight! When it says "all tribes will wail", I guess it's because they don't want You to be true, but You are! Didn't you say, "I am the truth"?
  • 1:8 - "Alpha and the Omega" -- O God, You are the First and the Last! You span from eternity past to eternity future, echoing verse 4. Oh wow...I just read the latter half of this verse! You did echo verse 4, literally!

 Thank You for Your Word, for You are eternal and faithful, Majestic King of kings.  Come back quickly LORD, for it seems we are approaching the last days.  Nevertheless, train and prepare us for Your Kingdom work, in Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments: